Monthly Archives: June 2014

Pineapple Concert Ukulele

Difficulty: Advanced

Cost: $$$

Here is a pineapple ukulele that I just completed.  Here are the specs:

Sides and neck = Cherry

Top and back = Zebrawood

Heel cap = Bubinga

Fretboard and bridge = Rosewood

Scale length = 15 inches

Finish = Tru-Oil

I took a bunch of pictures along the way.  Leave a comment if you have any questions.

20140608-072117-26477024.jpg

 

Ben of the Three Cedars Ukulele Company made this pineapple form for me.  It make building the body a lot easier.

20140608-072116-26476578.jpg

20140608-072117-26477629.jpg

 

Mocking up where the sound hole and bridge will go.

20140608-072117-26477988.jpg

I glued on the top and back with some homemade spool clamps.  I learned how to make them from the UKEonomics blog.

20140608-072118-26478561.jpg

 

20140608-072118-26478778.jpg

All ready for the Tru-Oil finish.

20140608-072119-26479062.jpg

Getting Tru-Oil.

20140608-072120-26480910.jpg

20140608-072119-26479487.jpg

 

20140608-072119-26479997.jpg

 

Video time!

 

Vintage Harmony Ukulele Repair

I fixed this broken Harmony Ukulele for a friend at work. She has had it since the 1960s and sometime along the way it had developed a few cracks along the top of the body.

20140525-161301-58381206.jpg

20140525-161301-58381505.jpg

 

It is tuned A,D,F#,B.  That’s one whole step higher than standard ukulele tuning.

20140525-161301-58381995.jpg

20140525-161302-58382876.jpg

 

Here are the cracks in the body.  Someone along the way tried to repair the loose neck with a long metal nail.  (Just in case anyone is wondering, this isn’t a great way to repair a loose instrument neck)

20140525-161303-58383357.jpg

 

I carefully pried off the neck and then was able to glue the cracks.  I then glued the neck back on and reassembled the uke.

 

Now this ukulele is playable again.  😀

Video Time: